Submissions are CLOSED
**Please refer to the themes page here to tailor your submissions for our 60th edition.
***Submission deadline: March 1st, 2021
General Submission Guidelines
Please submit your work as an ATTACHMENT to the mosaic email address. Submit poetry and prose in .doc or .rtf format (not PDF, pages, or .docx). Submit art in.JPG format.
All written submissions must be in 12 pt font, Times New Roman.
Mosaic submissions are read anonymously: DELETE your NAME or other personal information from any attachments.
The SUBJECT LINE of your email should read Mosaic Submission: followed by the genre and number of prose/poems (i.e. Mosaic Submission: Fiction).
Cover letter: When submitting, please include a cover letter in the body of your email. In your cover letter, please include:
- Your name or preferred name and pronouns -An email address (if you are a UCR student, please include both your UCR email and a secondary email we can reach you at)
- A permanent mailing address -A brief (100-150 words) bio. In your bio, feel free to include any link or social media where more of your work can be found.
If you are unfamiliar with writing a cover letter, a great example can be found here. For simplicity’s sake, you may address us as “Mosaic Editors”.
Please do not agonize over your cover letter— be brief and simple. We are mainly paying attention to your art/prose/poems.
Note: We do not accept pieces that have already been published. Simultaneous submissions are fine, so long as you notify us if they are accepted elsewhere, so they can be withdrawn from consideration.
We accept up to FIVE poems per submission. Each poem should begin on a new page of a single document, single-spaced.
Fiction/Creative Non-fiction/Ten-Minute Plays
Please submit up to FIVE pieces no longer than 8000 words TOTAL. (This can constitute several short pieces or one long piece for an entire word count of 8000.) Submissions exceeding this word count will not be read. If submitting more than one piece, use separate attachments. Please use 1.5 spacing for prose submissions. Plays should be properly formatted.
Submit up to FIVE pieces as separate attachments as .JPG. Artist statements (maximum of 250 words) concerning your submitted are optional but highly encouraged.
- Acceptable visual art: paintings (oil, watercolor, acrylic), drawings, sculpture, embroidery, art collage of mixed media, screen-printing, silkscreen, intaglio, paper collage, etc.
- video compilation of art pieces is acceptable, but will only be published in web edition (limited to 2 minutes each) QR code used to access videos
- Minimum required resolution is 300 dpi for photographs of artwork and 720p for videos.
Please email submissions to
Be aware that, when submitting to Mosaic, we reserve first serial rights, and the subsidiary right to reprint/display credited and dated works to use for archiving and advertisement purposes. We acknowledge that all other rights, including subsequent publications under other entities, belong to the author.
All published contributors will receive a free issue.
Also, please remember that UCR creative writing undergraduates are eligible to win awards for their published work! Learn more at http://www.creativewriting.ucr.edu/contest_awards/index.html
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. We look forward to receiving your work!